My two-color knitting ring from the 3D printer turned out quite useful! And, oddly, I like the weight of the little octopus, it helps the ring not slide around on my finger.
The cowl moves slowly, since it’s really two cowls.
Recently started a lovely little cowl in double knitting. It’s the Dots inside and out cowl. I’m knitting it in Trendsetter Yarns, which is apparently a Blue Faced Leicester/Cormo blend. It’s definitely a “sticky” yarn, not merino soft. But I’m thoroughly enjoying it.
I’m trying out my knitting ring, though I’m also trying to make a better one on the 3D printer!
I’m using Tinkercad to do the designing. It’s a bit of a “dumb” program, but since I don’t usually draft 3D, I’m liking the interface. And I’m using Curio to slice it for our 3D printer.
Back to the project at hand, here’s a clip of me double knitting in an Eastern European style. I am not a combination knitter, I both knit and purl through the back loop. I believe I’m considered Continental since I hold my yarn in the left hand and a Thrower as i do a little flick motion, so I don’t actually have to drop the yarn and pick it up again.
When I knit, I usually knit stockinette. I like the process. I really like it in the round. And I like to wear it. I like the simplicity. The simplicity of the knit, the simplicity of the finished product.
Recently, though, my husband asked me for a knit as a gift for a birthday party we are going to. While my husband appreciated the aesthetics of my knits, they aren’t really his thing. So his requests are few and far between. And I like to oblige. He wanted a hat. Simple enough. Unfortunately he wasn’t taken with the simple watch caps that I showed him.
(Images from Ravelry)
No. He chose the Hemisphere hat. I’ve knit it once before, so I owned the pattern. It’s double knit, two colors. Or otherwise, not stockinette in the round.
And it wrung me out.
It started with picking the yarn. My husband and I did that together and for price meets color, we ended up with some Knit Picks Hawthorne.
Then my husband wound up a ring to try and help guide the yarn better. It worked. But I’m not sure it’ll be a technique I keep around. There were still frustrations, like the ring catching the tail of the yarn as I worked.
Then I had a problem with the increases. No matter what I did it created a ridge on the inside. As a purl bump, it wouldn’t have been a problem as it would have been followed by more bumps. But as it was, it was a ridge followed by smooth stockinette. I finally ended up using Tech Knitter’s one below increase, but as a purl increase, to make the ridge disappear.
Once that was done, I needed more stitch markers. And I wanted to be able to easily tell where I was in the pattern, so I needed numbered stitch markers. Thankfully my sister’s craft closet is even better than mine. Shrinky Dink to the rescue!
Unfortunately, they were too dark once they shrunk 😦
So after several more rounds. I made more.
And then it was just knit. And knit and knit and knit.
And more knit. (& purl)
Until it was done. DONE!
I’m wiped. I’m drained. I’m wrung out. Seriously. It’s gonna be awhile until I knit again. At least until tomorrow.