One of the difficulties of my laissez faire attitude about my knitting projects is that now that Santa Barbara is having an actual cold “winter” I am looking a little bit crazy with my mis-matched patterns and colors. I’d like to remedy this. I don’t want to be matchy-matchy but a little “go,” a little coordination might go a long way to making me look eccentric instead of wacko.
Step 1 is identifying the problem. Step 2 is going to be looking at the yarn I have and can easily acquire. And Step 3 will be making head/neck-wear that will go with the opposite.
I may have overestimated the amount of grey Mighty Stitch yarn I would need for the holiday hats. I figured on two hats per ball of grey. Making 8 hats, I got 5 balls. The extra one for the tufts as ears.
There are the beginnings of five hats in that photo – pink, yellow, light grey, pink, green. Know how many balls of grey I used? Not even one. There’s enough left to start the sixth hat.
Gonna have to find some grey projects.
It has begun! The annual “making of the holiday hats.” We’re up to 8 at the moment. 2, 4, 5, 5, 7, 7, 10, 12.
I have the feeling that certain youngsters are going to be out-growing the tradition, so maybe next year’s will see a decrease in production.
I’m starting this year by making the 8 hats, then I’ll do the embellishments – 16 eyes, 16 iris, 16 tassels, 8 beaks.
Took a Grinch-y stance on holiday hats (a la the Knitmore Girls) and finished up the Holiday Hats for this year. There are 8 hats. 5 for girls, featuring four different color bows; 3 for boys. These range in size from 1 year old head to adult size.
Since then, Santa Barbara has been in the high 70s and low 80s so there’s no danger of the hats getting worn out until November!
Christmas is coming. And before Christmas comes Christmas Cards. And another year of making hats for my sister’s kids. Last year’s hats didn’t make the cut for the cards. Despite their awesome .gif. We all agreed that the most popular hats have been animals, particularly these penguins (and one panda).
So I used a basic beanie pattern. And added some embellishment.
Michael’s had some acrylic on sale. 90 yards for 99 cents. And some weird scrubby yarn from Red Heart.
Plus some Wool Jewel podcast to keep me company.
Crochet, crochet, crochet.